What’s the key to a successful marriage? It takes a willingness on the part of both spouses to do those things that we often let go by the wayside or allow to become not so important. Read through the helpful tips below on how to make your relationship extraordinary.
1. Without quality time together, your relationship will not survive. Aim to devote at least half an hour a night, and at least one day a month when the two of you spend time exclusively together. We like to take time before going to bed to unwind and connect. With 2 kids this is a perfect time for us.
Each month we have a date night on the calendar, usually the first Friday of the month. This is our night to dress up, try a new restaurant, and take a drive along the coast.
2. Money is one of the top conflicts between most couples. For the relationship to work, you need to address your finances and maybe even work out a budget. We’ve come from the depths of debt. We amassed over $50,000 in consumer debt and are now debt free. We’ll blog more on this in an upcoming post. Check out Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace.
3. Communication is vital to all healthy relationships. Listen to your partner and avoid blame and judgment. Don’t let your emotions dictate your behavior. Talking things over can help you to both have a deeper understanding of each other. Are you having trouble getting the conversation started? Check out Three Questions to get the Conversation Started to help you out.
4. Sort out your sex life. For most of us, it’s probably not what it used to be. It’s time to recapture the passion. Maybe one of you prefers more sex than the other. Why not experiment with new ideas in the bedroom? Try new positions, new locations (outside of the bedroom), use oils, and/or set the mood with candles. Whatever you decide, remember it has to be comfortable for both of you-talk about it.
5. Learn to forgive. One of the hardest things to do in any relationship is to let go of past hurts. Remember that holding onto the anger and resentment does not improve your relationship with your spouse but further isolates you from each other. Making the decision to forgive gives you power and freedom over the situation. While it is not easy and takes time choosing to forgive can have a profound effect on your marriage. What does the Bible say about forgiveness?
6. Remember that going to a marriage coach is not a sign of a failed relationship but rather an indication that you want to make things work. Seeking help can turn a bad relationship around and can also turn an average relationship into an excellent one. More and more couples are turning to coaching today; it shows you are both prepared to try and make things better, which can’t be a bad thing at all.
It takes 100% commitment from both of you. However, healthy and long-lasting marriages are achievable and many couples have proven just that. Not everything is always going to be perfect but if you both choose to make it work then it can. And remember it’s the little things that you sometimes do that can go a long way to making your relationship work.